[AudioI] Volume levels with Octo

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 17:39:34 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm using the RCA breakouts that come as standard with the Octo.

This has been niggling at me for a while now so I need to discuss it. When
I plug my headphones directly into the dual-phono 'master output' of my DJ
controller, the sound is a little too loud for comfort as you'd expect from
line-level output.

When I run a stereo-phono -> stereo-phono from the controller 'master
output' to ADC1 of the Octo, then launch JACK and connect ADC1 to DAC1:

# /usr/bin/jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100 -p 512 -H -M -S
# jack_connect system:capture_1 system:playback_1
# jack_connect system:capture_2 system:playback_2

ADC1 is at the default volume of '38' in alsamixer (described as 0dB).
Finally I connect the same headphones using the same dual-RCA to TRS-f to
DAC1 (at 100% output volume) The sound is *much* quieter.

Is this expected? I've had some complaints about the lower audio levels and
want to know if there's a way to crank it up without introducing distortion.

alsamixer exposes 'ADC1 Single Ended Mode' - when I set it to
'Differential', the sound quality is excellent, but quiet. If I set it to
'Single Ended' - the volume increases a little, but the sound is badly
distorted.

Cheers,
Gavin.