[AudioI] zero soundcard with phantom power

Randy Reichenbach randaji at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:02:30 UTC 2020

That would be nice, right?  You could certainly add phantom power to a Zero
card, but understand that Pro mics like the NT5 require 48VDC phantom
power, and the Pi and AI Zero just have 5v and 3.3v onboard.

So, you could add a separate phantom power supply.  Plenty of examples of
that if you google.

Or you could use a buck/boost converter to take the 5V and boost it to 48.
Mics only require single digits of mA, so the power requirement is actually
rather low.

Here's an example of a 9v to 48v.
https://www.electronics-lab.com/project/9v-to-48v-dc-dc-converter/

The spec for that regulator:
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/IC/MC34063A.pdf

suggests it'll work down to 3v, so there you go.

OR it's likely that AudioInjectors Preamp board would have you covered,
though strangely, it doesn't mention phantom power.  As much as I love my
AI cards, I find the available info about them to be rather lacking.
http://www.audioinjector.net/xlr-preamp