[AudioI] Help with the stereo soundcard and bishoph Sopare

TBJ1118 truselmassimo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 01:37:30 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I'm a neuroscientist working in language and speech. I work in songbirds,
and I am trying to adapt a Pi to recognize birdsong and activate the
delivery of food reward in response to song. I purchased your stereo
soundcard, and while I could get to record sound properly on the Pi with
alsa, I encountered issues with the script found at this page:
https://www.bishoph.org/

It's a sound recognition script. When setting it up, it indicates to run

python sopare.py -u
python test/test_audio.py

this should return a threshold that is based on the ambient noise. It
should be around 100-300. I get 32000. I tried troubleshooting, I purchased
another USB microphone that has a crappy background noise, and still the
threshold is about 1000 and I get the bishoph script to run properly (not
all the way through though, as it lacks specificity, and I am afraid that
it's due to the crappy recording conditions). Your soundcard's microphone
records very well, and therefore I would like to use that one with the
script.
I am writing to you to ask for "product support" for your stereo soundcard,
as I am afraid there is something obvious that I am missing due to my
noob-ness with programming and Pis. What could be the source of this
super-high threshold?
I tried decreasing the microphone input volume, no change.
I tried setting the threshold at a lower level despite the indications, but
the script reads a continuous input of sound through the microphone even if
there is no sound (consistent with the idea that I set the threshold lower
than what the bishoph script suggested)
I tried setting the threshold at the indicated level, but even if I shout
in the microphone it doesn't pick up anything, as the threshold is so high.
However, I can record with alsa and I get great recordings! It's just
something at the level of the cross-talk between the sound card and the
script. I tried asking the script admin, but he said that it appears that
it's a problem with the sound card.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks!

Massimo