[AudioI] How-to play independent single channels?

Ian Crawford ian at noisebin.org
Tue Jul 20 14:27:36 UTC 2021

I’m trying to use Python to play simultaneous separate audio files through
*individual channels on a single audio device* (either the built in RPi
audio output, or an Octo card). For example, playing two mono files at the
same time, one in the left channel, one in the right independent of each
other.

There are a bunch of Python packages out there that use audio I/O libraries
such as PortAudio to play files, and PortAudio for example allows you to
pick specific channels for playback in some situations, but not for
Raspberry Pi.

It is trivial to play a single sound file on all channels at once  but
being able to specifically pick which channels to send to is proving
extremely challenging.

I'm also trying to configure the ALSA audio framework to treat the channels
of a single
device as multiple separate (virtual) devices - (as described here for
example:
https://bootlin.com/blog/audio-multi-channel-routing-and-mixing-using-alsalib/
)
but the instructions in that blog are not clear - I’m having a bit of
difficulty figuring out the complete configuration to put in the
asound.conf file. (If anyone thinks they’d be able to assist me to
make sense of asound syntax, I’d be very happy!)

Has anyone attempted parallel/thread-driven playback of different audio
files on different channels on a RPI’s audio device?

Tanks -
Ian