[AudioI] count of capture channels DIFFER ARY between hardware-SPEC and CODING in raspberrypi/linux-driver "audioinjector-addons"

Matt Flax matt at audioinjector.net
Wed Oct 20 20:47:52 UTC 2021

Thanks for opening this discussion Frank,

Indeed the board inputs 6 channels but the Linux driver reports 8.

The reason for this is that the cs42448 codec outputs 8 channels with two of them being silent. So physically on the I2S bus there are 8 channels output by the audio codec, however 2 of those channels are silent !

This it turns out is a good thing. It allows us to realign channels based on the location of the two silent channels on the input. If for whatever reason there are overruns or underruns or something else happens, then our code can always make sure the channel alignment is correct.

Matt