[AudioI] ground loop on octocard input

Matt Flax matt at audioinjector.net
Fri Feb 4 21:53:41 UTC 2022

Please send through the examples, hardware, software or otherwise, it is very interesting. Feel free to discuss anything hearing, acoustics and audio here. It is possible Omar may want to source an off the shelf solution.

What sort of amplification is required for the seismological instrument. What sort of bandwidths ?

Omar, that tone is heavily saturated, I imagine that the seismic digitizers which Jonathan is talking about have input filters on them if they are that low frequency. Is it possible that this low frequency tone is entering the system before your preamplifier and getting amplified before being captured ?

If you have the time and inclination, and you want to test further on the ground loop concept, the Pro soundcard has an isolated power supply built in. It would be interesting to see if it changes things at all. It also has balanced +-15 to 20V rails for powering pre-amplifiers on it - so it would be interesting to see if having the isolated power supply changes anything. You can see the connectors of the pro soundcard here :https://github.com/Audio-Injector/AudioInjector-Analogue-Breakout-Standard/blob/master/AudioInjectorAnaBreakStdv1.pdf

You could build your own preamplifier suited to the task. If you were inclined to learn more about that side of things, you could also modify an existing RCA preamplifier to change their gain and bandwidth to suit your needs.

Matt