[AudioI] ground loop on octocard input

Matt Flax matt at audioinjector.net
Sun Jan 30 21:03:30 UTC 2022

Hi there,

OK, lets check the situation;

You have an octo running on a USB supply. You have a preamplifier running from a 9v external battery. The amplification board generates a negative rail line using a switching chip.

When everything is using batteries, there is no low frequency noise. When the Pi is plugged into the wall you get a low frequency noise, probably ground loop hum.

About the DC bias of 2v, is this necessary ? It is used to bias the Geophone ? how are you generating the 2v supply ?

Can you see the IC used on the switching supply to generate the negative rail ? Can you read it's model number ? Can you tell whether it is a charge pump device or a different type of switching supply ?

An initial gut feeling says that if it is a ground loop, then it is most likely an EM generated ground loop through the Geophone in some way. This is because you have only one connection to the mains supply (the USB charger).

It is possible that this noise is not due to a ground loop. It is possible that the noise is due to the method used to generate the negative rail.

Matt