[AudioI] Guitar Preamp for Isolated(Pro) soundcard

Randall Reichenbach randaji at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:10:20 UTC 2022

I would also love if AudioInjector made a card with "instrument" inputs.
The Pro and Isolated cards are great, but the physical footprint is just
too large for stomp boxes IMO.

I hit the issues you list in developing my project, pi-Stomp (
treefallsound.com).  Yes, the pi 5v power rail is quite noisy, but I was
able to tame it enough using a LDO regulator (AMS1117-3.3 same as the Zero
card uses) and a 10uF oscon cap on the output side.  Having a separate
analog ground (for your buffer preamp and its regulator) from your digital
ground (pi and everything attached) helps a ton too.  The AudioInjector
card is the single place where my grounds are connected.

Starting with a rather clean power supply helps too.  The one I supply with
all of my kits has 1% line regulation, 4% load regulation and 50mVp-p
ripple.  If the supply manufacturer doesn't list their regulation specs,
you can guess it's pretty noisy.

Once I had clean power, the next challenge was maintaining headroom.  Even
a LDO reduces 5 to 3.3, so you'll want a rail-to-rail opamp.  I tried 6
dual opamps and settled on the MCP6292 due to its noise performance
(speced, heard and measured).  I configure it as just a simple
non-inverting buffer.  Same as the second to last circuit here
http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm   but with 2M resistors to yield 1M
input impedance.  You could easily configure it with some gain as well by
adding a feedback resistor.

I've also dealt with adding MIDI (DIN and USB).  USB you get for free via
the pi USB connector.  DIN MIDI just requires an opto isolator, a few
resistors and a diode.  If ya wanna chat about any of that, let me know.

Cheers,
Randall