[AudioI] Guitar Preamp for Isolated(Pro) soundcard

Ted Rippert ted.rippert at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:54:48 UTC 2022

Lots of good information so far, but I do want to get back to the main purpose of this thread. Making a preamp specifically for the Pro sound card.

Since the Pro already has +-12VDC on it, I’ll assume that the power supply is taken care of.

One thing I would like to get more information on is a good opamp circuit to interface a passive pickup to the differential inputs available on the Pro card header. The CS4272 data sheet gives an example of a circuit to use for the analog input, but it is differential to differential, and AC coupled. There is also a recommended output circuit that is AC coupled. The specs on the Pro card and the existing Preamp boards for it say that they are DC coupled. I like the idea of DC coupling, especially for a Bass, but what are the technical details. The data sheet does state that you need to filter out 6.144 MHz and it’s harmonics, which is fairly straight forward with an opamp. There are various differential to single ended and vice-versa circuits documented on the web, such as:

https://sound-au.com/articles/balanced-io.htm#s1 <https://sound-au.com/articles/balanced-io.htm#s1>
http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/balanced/balanced.htm <http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/balanced/balanced.htm>
https://sound-au.com/project87.htm <https://sound-au.com/project87.htm>

Does anyone have experience into how to modify such circuits for a high impedance input while maintaining the needed filtering and possibly adding a gain control on the input? I know the theory on how to do such things, but there are a lot of possible options and the devils are always in the details. Also, are the pins on the Pro card header tied directly to the Codec chip, or is there some circuitry in between? I’m going to order a Pro board and one of the preamp boards for general use and to see what I can find out about the circuits and layout. Just hoping to get a bit of a head start here.

Thanks, and I don’t mean to stop any of the other conversations in this thread. They are very useful to me and hopefully others. Just want to also try to get some info on the main subject.
-Ted