[AudioI] Trouble with audio input on Octo

Chris Fernandez chris at hardline.io
Fri May 6 19:19:06 UTC 2022

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting any kind of audio input signal to the
AudioInjector Octo.

I have been able to get all 8 channels of audio output working just fine.
I've been primarily using PureData, and I have been able to output .wav
files and test sine wave patterns to each of the 8 channels independently
and simultaneously.

However, I have not been able to see any audio data at all on the input
side. PureData has a diagnostic tool to help with this type of
troubleshooting (Media -> Test Audio and MIDI...) but the only data I'm
seeing are zeroes.

For input, I have been using a set of cheap microphones I bought off Amazon
that use a 3.5mm jack. I've confirmed that they are working by using them
to record audio on my laptop via the Headphone/Mic combo jack. I thought
that maybe these microphones need a preamplifier to work with the
AudioInjector in order to get to line level. But, I have also tried routing
the AudioInjector output back to the input, and still get nothing but zeros.

This has me thinking that I must be doing something wrong from a software
or configuration standpoint.
-I have opened up the AlsaMixer and confirmed that all ADC channels are not
muted and do not have the volume turned all the way down.
-I've verified that my /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc both match the
guidance listed in the readme at https://github.com/Audio-Injector/Octo
-I've checked aplay -l and arecord -l, they both list the audioinjectoroc
as a device.

What other steps can I take to get audio inputs working on the Octo? Any
help would be greatly appreciated!

     -Chris

--
Chris Fernandez