[AudioI] No sound in icecast2 stream

Phillip Fox phill at phillfox.net
Sat Apr 22 14:33:46 UTC 2023

Thank you again Derm,
I reviewed several of your blog posts without any luck, then decided to remove my AudioInjector Stereo hat and reinstall it. After booting I was able to hear very quiet audio with some distortion from my stream.

I tried adjusting some of the levels using 'alsamixer', but that didn't seem to help. I ran the "asound.state.MIC.thru.test" script and could hear audio from the onboard mic after a reboot. I reran the "asound.state.RCA.thru.test" script and since then I haven't heard any more audio. I've tried connecting to both the RCA and the headphone port. I've messed with so many settings with the 'amixer' commands, and have verified that they took affect in 'alsamixer'.

I'm familiar with linux OSs, but new to audio on linux.
I feel like I'm close but missing something obvious, here are some details from my current config. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

I'm running the light version Raspberry PI OS version of Debian Bullseye, so command line only, on a Compute Module 4 board. Would the full UI provide more options? My compute module board has 2 HDMI ports, so my AudioInjector card's card id is 2.

When I run 'arecord' I get the following output (the output starts at 99% then immediatly drops to 13% and stays there even with no record playing):
*~ $** arecord -D 'hw:CARD=audioinjectorpi,DEV=0' -vv -f dat /dev/null*
Recording WAVE '/dev/null' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo

Hardware PCM card 2 'audioinjector-pi-soundcard' device 0 subdevice 0

Its setup is:

  stream       : CAPTURE

  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED

  format       : S16_LE

  subformat    : STD

  channels     : 2

  rate         : 48000

  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)

  msbits       : 16

  buffer_size  : 24000

  period_size  : 6000

  period_time  : 125000

  tstamp_mode  : NONE

  tstamp_type  : MONOTONIC

  period_step  : 1

  avail_min    : 6000

  period_event : 0

  start_threshold  : 1

  stop_threshold   : 24000

  silence_threshold: 0

  silence_size : 0

  boundary     : 6755399441055744000

  appl_ptr     : 0

  hw_ptr       : 0

#######+                                           | 13%

Here is the 'AlsaMixer' view:
And the 'amixer' output:
*~ $** amixer -c 2*

Simple mixer control 'Master',0

  Capabilities: pvolume

  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

  Limits: Playback 0 - 127

  Mono:

  Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [6.00dB]

  Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [6.00dB]

Simple mixer control 'Master Playback ZC',0

  Capabilities: pswitch

  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

  Mono:

  Front Left: Playback [on]

  Front Right: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Sidetone',0

  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Limits: Playback 0 - 3

  Mono: Playback 3 [100%] [-6.00dB]

Simple mixer control 'Line',0

  Capabilities: cswitch

  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right

  Front Left: Capture [off]

  Front Right: Capture [off]

Simple mixer control 'Mic',0

  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined

  Capture channels: Mono

  Mono: Capture [off]

Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0

  Capabilities: volume volume-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Capture channels: Mono

  Limits: 0 - 1

  Mono: 1 [100%] [20.00dB]

Simple mixer control 'Playback Deemphasis',0

  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Mono: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Capture',0

  Capabilities: cvolume

  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right

  Limits: Capture 0 - 31

  Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [12.00dB]

  Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [12.00dB]

Simple mixer control 'ADC High Pass Filter',0

  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Mono: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Input Mux',0

  Capabilities: enum

  Items: 'Line In' 'Mic'

  Item0: 'Line In'

Simple mixer control 'Output Mixer HiFi',0

  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Mono: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Output Mixer Line Bypass',0

  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Mono: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Output Mixer Mic Sidetone',0

  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Mono: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Store DC Offset',0

  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined

  Playback channels: Mono

  Mono: Playback [on]

Thanks to anyone who can help!