[AudioI] Faster / Earlier loading? ALSA Mixer - 15 seconds VS 30 seconds

Matt matt at audioinjector.net
Mon Aug 31 20:26:45 UTC 2020

On 31/8/20 11:27 pm, chris rosneau via People wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have had success!
> I installed this on my Pi 3.
> Once I opened amixer from the console, and selected device 0 from the
> F menu, then I selected line in, and unmuted it. BOOM! it works! (and
> very well!)

Nice ! Great project idea, putting a speaker inside a guitar to enhance
the sound in different ways. What a concept!

> -- So. here is my Question.
>
> Is it possible to have the audio enabled earlier? Before I installed
> the Zero audio injector, a USB sound card starts working around 1/2
> way through the boot. Same result with the on board sound. Using this
> Zero Audio Injector, it isn't active until around 3 seconds after the
> Os is fully loaded (console login).
>
> Load comparison 1: 15~20 seconds
> A USB sound card would turn on and MODEP would be processing effects
> 1/2 way through the boot. The boot would continue for the next 15~20
> seconds. This makes the project appear to be fully booted at 15
> seconds. Being headless the only indication that the system is
> working, is that you can hear the effects ;-). Clearly MODEP is
> running at 15 seconds and just needs the sound card to respond to
> function.

When you look at dmesg output, what is the kernel time point at which
the audio driver reports itself loading ?

> Load comparison 2: 30~35 seconds
> With Zero Audio Injector installed, it doesn't process audio until a
> few seconds after the login is reached. I imagine this is because the
> ALSA mixer settings are applied at that point? that's my guess.

When you look at dmesg output, what is the kernel time point at which
the audio driver reports itself loading ? There will probably be a few
steps here ... I would imagine that first the audio injector overlay
must load, which triggers the audio drivers to load (eventually). Part
of loading the audio drivers is to load the codec driver.

There must be a few different checkpoints to loading and starting the
audio subsystem. First overlay loading, then driver loading. Alsamixer
setup. Finally user space application startup.

Typically with USB audio, there is no codec driver to be loaded, just
the USB UAC driver.

For Rasbian, which is based on Debian, you may want to add to your
research pages relating to Debian, like this one :

https://wiki.debian.org/BootProcessSpeedup

--
Checkout the community email list :