[AudioI] Isolated Audioinjector Question

David Klann dklann at broadcasttool.com
Thu Dec 31 03:27:01 UTC 2020

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply!

On 12/30/20 6:58 PM, Matt via People wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Great to hear that it sounds good.
>
> Below are my output and input alsamixer screendshots for the Isolated
> and Pro. soundcards. The Master output gain controls the level on the
> output. The input has no gain in the audio codec.

My views with alsamixer look just like your screenshots.

> The XLR preamplifier has 13 dB gain on the output (boosting the full
> scale level to around +-10V). The input gain is -12.8 dB which takes a
> high voltage XLR level and drops it around 4.4 times.
>
> Is it possible that the signal being sent to the sound card is not loud
> enough, so that when the XLR preamplifier drops the level, it reduces it
> too much ?

Thinking about it, this is most likely the case. The ARC-8 Program
outputs are +4dBu balanced (with XLR connectors). I probably need a
"distribution amp" between the board and the Isolated Soundcard. I was
hoping that the preamps on the XLR board would bring the levels up
enough for a direct connection from the board.

> I'm not familiar with the Arrakis ARC-8 radio mixing console. Can you
> please explain a little about its output connections and signal levels ?

The ARC-8 manual claims that the maximum output is +23dBu balanced. I'm
not sure how that spec relates to the statement that the Program output
is +4dBu balanced...

Thanks for confirming that there is no gain control on the input side.

Best regards,

   ~David Klann