[AudioI] Total newbie with Pi and audioinjector stereo soundcard

Matt matt at audioinjector.net
Thu Nov 26 09:45:41 UTC 2020

Hi TBJ,

Sounds like a great project.

Are you ok with trying command line approaches ? It may be the easiest.
If not, we can probably work out a way to use audacity.

I think it is likely that what you are missing is the correct alsa mixer
settings to enable the sound card's microphon. Now there are two ways
for this sound card to capture, either line in or microphone. We will
want to setup the microphone as input.

So that you can monitor in real time, why not connect your headphones or
output RCAs to preamp and start sucking in audio and spitting it out to
the speakers using this command in a terminal window :

arecord -f S32_LE -r 48000 -c 2 | aplay -f S32_LE -r 48000 -c 2 -

As your mixer isn't setup correctly, you should hear nothing ... now be
careful about hurting your ears - don't wear the headphones on your ears !

now open alsamixer by typing it into the command line in a different
terminal window :

alsamixer

What you want to do is toggle the alsamixer settings to get the
microphone channeling through the ADC."

In alsamixer if you press the "TAB" button it cycles from Playback to
Capture to All.

In Playback, got to (press the left and right arros keys till you get
to)  "Output Mixer HiFi" and press "m" to change the "MM" to "00". This
will enable the clocks for the digital audio subsystem.

get "Input Mix", press the up and down arrow keys until it says "Mic".

Now press TAB and it will take you to Capture. Highlight "Mic" by going
left and right, then press the space bare to enable the microphone capture.

You should now hear the microphone captured audio streaming out the
headphones. You can adjust levels by going to "Mic Boost" and "Capture"
and use the up and down arrows to turn the levels up and down.

Matt

--
Checkout the community email list :