[AudioI] Some output in raspian stretch, but none in desktop version

Andrew McLellan andrewrobertmclellan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 22:08:37 UTC 2021

Hello!

I just received the audio injector and have a bit of trouble getting it
working correctly. I followed the automated install script and rebooted and
it seemed to have no issues with that.

*Issue 1*: However, the last part of the install I cannot run the command
"amixer set 'Output Mixer HiFi' on"  with the error message "amixer: Unable
to find simple control 'Output Mixer HiFi',0 "

*Issue 2*: I tried to pipe the input into the output (via both onboard mic
and a line-in) which didn't work and the results from the command "amixer"
are the same as the person in this thread -- I don't have all of the
options that I believe I should (
https://lists.audioinjector.net/mailman/private/people/2020-February/000002.html
)

Here is what I see:

 $ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
  Front Left: Capture 65536 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 65536 [100%] [on]

*Works*: I downloaded the piano2.wav sound file as I had seen suggested in
a forum and played it using aplay and I could hear output via the headphone
jack on the AudioInjector -- so I know it's working somewhat.

*Issue 3*: However, when I load into Raspian desktop environment, the audio
icon in the top right shows no audio devices. Playing YouTube or Pandora
music via the browser does not play any audio. This was tested via the
onboard 3.5mm jack as well as a cheap usb sound card and played audio fine.

I'm trying to integrate this into two different Python projects--one with
PyAudio and one with Pyo and it does not work for either of those Python
packages -- so it seems only place it works for me is to run aplay <some
file>.

Any suggestions of what I can do or does it seem to be a hardware issue
again as with the linked thread?

Thanks!
Andy