[AudioI] Which Audio Injector for Low latency microphone input?

Matt matt at audioinjector.net
Tue Jan 5 09:39:29 UTC 2021

On 4/1/21 11:14 pm, audioinjector.net--- via People wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Jasper

> I am looking for an affordable hardware device that can be used as a
> simple but good quality Jamulus <https://jamulus.io/> client for
> around 10 non-tech-savvy members of a choir, here in the Netherlands.
>
> A Raspberry Pi 3 (or 4) would mainly run the Jamulus software client
> and manage the network traffic.
>
> Most important requirements for the audio processing are:
>
>  1. mono input to record singing, dynamic microphone (1/4" or 3.5mm
>     jack or XLR, but NOT USB)
>  2. stereo output for headphones (1/4" or 3.5mm jack)
>  3. low latency audio processing (10ms or less)
>  4. 16bit or 24bit depth
>  5. 48kHz sample rate
>  6. low background noise
>
> Optional requirements:
>
>  1. Input gain control for microphone
>  2. Output volume control for headphones
>

> Could you advise on a Audio injector board for this purpose that is
> currently available?
>
> I have a Raspberry Pi 3 available for testing purposes. But a
> Raspberry Pi 4 would be fine too.

We are in the development of a microphone preamplifier board for our
isolated and pro. soundcards. These preamplifier boards will have the
option of phantom power as to support condenser microphones, as well as
the option to use dynamic microphones.

Until we produce those soundcards, I would suggest using a cheap
external microphone preamplifier with any of our soundcards.

One example preamplifier is this one :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UIP0IPO?ref=myi_title_dp

You can find many other external preamplifiers for a similar price.

If you want headphone outputs, you can use the original stereo
soundcard, or the zero soundcard :

http://www.audioinjector.net/rpi-hat

http://www.audioinjector.net/rpi-zero

Those versions have output headphone gain control in software and input
gain control using either the hardware potentiometer or software.

All of these GPIO based I2S soundcards will have similar and the lowest
latency for the Pi.

Other features you require can also be implemented as ALSA plusings or
by other software means.

thanks

Matt

--