[AudioI] AudioInjector no longer recognised by Pi.

Matt matt at audioinjector.net
Wed Mar 3 09:16:36 UTC 2021

On 21/2/21 1:11 am, Niklas Loynes via People wrote:

> Dear ListServ,
>
> I posted this issue to the flatmax Github, but thought I'd also share
> here, in order to maximise the chance of figuring out what's wrong. To
> see the pics of my audioinjector I uploaded, please see the github
> issue page at
> https://github.com/Audio-Injector/stereo-and-zero/issues/71
> <https://github.com/Audio-Injector/stereo-and-zero/issues/71>.
>
> Below is my original message:
>
> Hi there.
>
> I've been using the AudioInjector Stereo card for a while with my
> RPi3, with the primary purpose of running a samplerbox instrument on
> it (https://homspace.nl/samplerbox/SBabout.html
> <https://homspace.nl/samplerbox/SBabout.html>). Back in May 2020 or
> so, I managed to get it working and configured (which involved more
> effort than just running the install instructions detailed on the
> github page, such as configuring the default soundcard - but I can't
> quite remember what exactly it involved).
>
> Anyway, I didn't touch the samplerbox-pi for ages, and only last week
> wanted to incorporate it into my setup again. However, despite making
> zero changes to the configuration and not touching the thing for over
> half a year, it stopped working. I wanted to start debugging it by
> simply getting the pi to play a test wav file by simply running |aplay
> test.wav|, but this results in an error message telling me no
> soundcard was found.
>
> So, I thought I'd re-install samplerbox with a clean image - but the
> same thing happened. Then I thought, perhaps I should test Raspbian /
> Raspberry Pi OS - same issue. See below for examples:
>
> |pi at raspberrypi:~ $ aplay -l aplay: device_list:272: no soundcards
> found... pi at raspberrypi:~ $ alsamixer cannot open mixer: No such file
> or directory pi at raspberrypi:~ $ arecord -l arecord: device_list:272:
> no soundcards found... |
>
> My config.txt looks as it should, with the on-board sound deactivated
> and the audio injector overlay activated:
>
> |# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835) #dtparam=audio=on [pi4] # Enable
> DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
> dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d max_framebuffers=2 [all]
> #dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d # enable the AudioInjector.net sound card
> dtoverlay=audioinjector-wm8731-audio |
>
> So, my theory at this point is that perhaps something is damaged on
> the AudioInjector hat itself? I took it off the Pi and placed it on
> top again, to no avail. So, I'm attaching some photos of the board.
> Please note that the imperfect alignment of the RCA jacks was how I
> received the audio injector when I bought it (new!), and I absolutely
> didn't touch the Pi for months, so I can't really see how anything
> could have been damaged.

Hi these troubles don't sound the best. The photos didn't come through.

Your config.txt looks like it should work. I can't think of any reason
why the card would stop working - normally they are very robust.

Have you tried with a new OS setup ? If you do use a recent raspbian os,
make sure you remove pulseaudio :

sudo apt remove pulseaudio

It has some non-robust settings which confluctuate the audio setup and
make ALSA confused.

If you want pulseaudio installed, then you can address the soundcard
directly using the standard ALSA "-D hw:0" type flags.

Matt