[AudioI] Hearing aids project

Matt Flax matt at audioinjector.net
Sun Mar 6 02:35:46 UTC 2022

Hi there,

Great to hear from you on this topic.

There is an open master hearing aid project which you may be interested
in, have a look here :

http://www.openmha.org/userproject/2017/12/21/openMHA-on-raspberry-pi.html

Interestingly they seem to be using an external preamplifier for the ear
receiver shells. It is possible you could get the headphone output from
the soundcard to generate enough power for hearing aid shells, but not
sure - I guess it depends on the gain prescription and the ear receiver
impedance plus required power output from the receivers.

 From what I see they describe a way to get the NAL-NL2 prescription
running on the device too, which is pretty much still state of the art
in hearing aid prescription.

You can probably look at the hardware they use and extrapolate out from
there.

Regarding the phono preamplifier, I am not sure that would work for a
hearing aid because the input frequency response matches the RIAA
transfer function. That frequency response would alter a hearing aid
prescription for gains too much and not be useful.

What do you make of the openMHA project ? Do you think it would be
useful for you ?

Regarding hardware options,

The ultra 2 has 2 electret microphone inputs which is good, you could
alter the output preamplifier to suit your power requirements or in an
even more simple situation you could use the existing preamplifier
output to a second amplifier, like they do with the openMHA project.
This second amplifier would be responsible for generating enough
acoustic power for your hearing aid receivers.

An alternative is to use the Pro. sound card and create a new
preamplifier PCB which has the capability to power and receive signals
from electret microphones and do a significant power output for the ear
receivers. I think the Pro souncard can drive a maximum of around 2w
from its +-12V power rails. How many watts of power are consumed in
profound gain prescribed hearing aids ?

Matt

--
Checkout the community email list :