[AudioI] Opensource Shot Spotter project

Matt Flax matt at audioinjector.net
Sun Mar 6 09:09:56 UTC 2022

OK, sounds like a project in sound source direction detection.

You can start with two channel applications with the stereo soundcards.
For more then two channels, you will need to migrate to the Octo
soundcard. It can capture up to 6 channels of audio. What do you think
if this idea ?

The Octo has the input differential lines broken out and 5v power lines
as well. You can see a KiCad starting project for building your own
multi microphone board here :
https://github.com/Audio-Injector/AudioInjector.Octo.template/blob/master/AudioInjector.Octo.sch.pdf

There are other octo related projects there as well. For example the RCA
preamp project shows you an example of interfacing single ended inputs,
or you could use the electret microphones in some differential
signalling setup with a suitable opamp or IC generating microhpone
amplification.

In the past I have built an electret microphone supply using an adum5000
IC (to give a clean low power reference) followed by a 2.5v 1117 LDO
regulator, which will generate the required electret power supply.

For ensuring synchrony on the input channels, you will want to use one
of the standard techniques people use to ensure synchrony. One example
is to use this code to align input channels and avoid any channel
swapping :
https://github.com/flatmax/gtkiostream/blob/master/test/ALSAFullDuplexMinScan.C#L65-L77

Matt

--