[AudioI] 4 Channel Output with Octo

Mason, Zach z.mason at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 18:02:23 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I’m attempting to make a Pi project which is comprised of a arcade machine, with a single button input. It would be a branching audio narrative (with visual elements, some fan/wind output, some water spray and a arcade coin input potentially). However all these things in brackets are perfectly achievable to me. The main issue I have is concerning the audio side of things as follows:

>From the Pi the branching audio needs to be sent to 4 different channels.

2 channels for stereo audio to a set of headphones.
1 channel for mono audio to a speaker in the cabinet.
1 channel for mono audio to a series of tactile transducers.

Each audio device needs to receive different audio at the same time (for example ambient sounds plays through speakers, when you put headphones a voice is already telling you to press a button and then once the button is pressed music plays through headphones, the speakers go quiet and the tactile transducers vibrate all simultaneously).

How possible is this? If possible, is the octo soundcard the best solution? It seems to be from all my research, but is a USB-audio interface more optimal?

Thanks for reading this and any advice you can give,

Zach Mason, PhD Student
Design Research Works
Imagination Lancaster