[AudioI] [AudioI - stereo + zero] Issues with Injector Zero

Matt matt at audioinjector.net
Tue Feb 18 12:37:32 AEDT 2020

Hi

On 18/2/20 12:16 pm, Colin Ngu via People wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm am running Retropie on my pi zero, and I would like to route the
> sound output using the Audioinjector HAT.  But no success so far.

Sounds like fun, I have a MAME arcade hardware breakout from the '90s !

> I have modified config.txt with following command;
> dtparam=i2c_arm=on
>
> dtparam=i2s=on
>
> dtparam=spi=on
>
> dtparam=audio=off
> dtoverlay=audioinjector-wm8731-audio

Typically the config.txt file only needs the following
(dtparam=audio=off is probably ok) :

#dtparam=audio=on

dtoverlay=audioinjector-wm8731-audio

To be sure, you can enable i2c and i2s but may not be necessary :

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on

> In the retropie settings menu, I have set the following;
>
> Audio Card: SYSDEFAULT
>
> Audio Device: MASTER
>
> This is setting that has does not show any error.. But still no sound.
>
> I have also tried the hat on raspberry pi4 running on rabian buster.
> The config.txt file is modified, and Raspbian seems to be able to
> detect the soundcard. But still not getting any sound.

Ok this is good, indicates it isn't a hardware issue. But we need to dig
deeper.

For starters, can you run raspbian and do the following ...

Do you see the sound card when you type in :

aplay -l

Have you enabled the mixer appropriately ? Did you set the "Output Mixer
HiFi" switch to on ? This will allow audio output on the sound card. You
can use the alsamixer command to toggle it with a user interface.

To check, when I type :

amixer

I get the following :

Simple mixer control 'Output Mixer HiFi',0
   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Mono: Playback [on]

--