[AudioI] People Digest, Vol 21, Issue 10

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat Oct 30 22:56:50 UTC 2021

> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Ham Radio Audio Mixer (Mike Maynard)
>

> Trying to build an audio mixer for a ham radio setup.
>
> My goal is as follows:
>
> I want to take audio from the radio, bring it into the pi, and send it to
> various outputs (one for speaker, headset a, headset b....)
>
> Then, I want to take mic audio from the 'selected' device, back to the
> radio.
>
> Furthermore, I want to take mic audio from headset a and headset b, and
> pass them directly to each other (as an intercom) while they still hear the
> radio audio.
>
> I am hoping to use the Octo for this.
>
> Would this be possible?   What might I need for software to do this?  Is it
> possible there is a better solution?
>
> I assume I am going to need some sort of amplification for the
> speakers/headphone outputs?
>
> Open to suggestions!
>

> Mike
> K2GC

Mike

The Pi is superfluous - what you're trying to achieve could be done
either with relays and a bit of CMOS logic, or CMOS switches (like the
4066) and a bit of CMOS logic.  You might need some op-amps to amplify
some of the routings, and if you're using your microphone input for
amateur radio, some bandwidth limiting (simple filtering) and some
compression and limiting might be in order to maximise your "talk
power".  If you need further advice, sketch what you're trying to
achieve, and drop me a line with your sketch, and I'll give you some
pointers.

Regards

Chris