[AudioI] Phantom powered inputs XLR pre-amplifier

Matt Flax matt at audioinjector.net
Fri Apr 22 00:55:39 UTC 2022

Hi there,

Sounds like a great project. The Pro. soundcard provides a phantom power
line, you can see the Vph pin in the AIABS specification :
https://github.com/Audio-Injector/AudioInjector-Analogue-Breakout-Standard/blob/master/AudioInjectorAnaBreakStdv1.pdf

The XLR preamplifier provides balanced input and output using XLR
connectors. There is also an RCA preamplifier for single ended
applications. At this point in time, neither preamplifier provides
phantom power. The XLR preamplifier is designed to output high voltage
lines with output amplification. The input lines on the XLR preamplifier
attenuate the input. This preamplifier isn't suitable to typical
microphone amplification requirements on the input.

It would be possible to create your own preamplifier using the phantom
power for a hydrophone/microphone type application. Normally microphones
require a large gain (e.g. 30 dB) on the input side.

I notice that the hydrophone specification
(https://www.aquarianaudio.com/AqAudDocs/H2a_XLR_manual.pdf) only
requires a small current for power, this is good. The 48V specification
is good too as the Pro. soundcard provides that power line on its power
connector.

Matt

--
Checkout the community email list :